Saturday, March 27, 2010

Holy Week

Holy Week is here....

4 weeks ago I remember having a dilemma in deciding what to give up for lent. For the past 3 years I've always given up sweets and red meat. But this year I wanted to give up something that is part of my daily routine. I decided to give up RICE.

It wasn't hard at first but lately I've been counting the days to when lent would end. Is lent all about giving up "something"? I was completely missing the point. You don't need to give up anything for lent. Lent is all about remembering Jesus Christ's Passion. Was I more prayerful during lent? I mean I went to stations of the cross every Friday. My prayer life has increased but not necessarily because of lent but because of personal reasons.  So I guess I haven't really been commemorating Christ's Passion, have I?

Back in the Philippines Holy Week is a huge thing.  Filipinos do a whole lot of sacrificing during lent. Some would even go as far as re-enacting Christ's Passion from getting flogged, to carrying the cross, to being crucified. During Holy Thursday and Good Friday stores and other business establishments are closed. And these days are considered national holidays. Some establishments are even closed the whole week. Visita Iglesia commences on Holy Thursday evening and on Friday most parishes hold a procession. Then Easter Sunday comes where all rejoice and eat lechon.

I miss celebrating Holy Week Filipino style.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting into residency! Your USMLE scores are awesome!

    I wish Americans would hold Holy Week in higher status like Filipinos. It is the greatest time of the Liturgical Year!

    Praying for you and your husband. IF is frustrating. If you are not able to have biological children, as a doctor you will be in a position to have many "spiritual" children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gianna for visiting and for your kind words :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy week?? hahhaa never heard if it =p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehehe...It's a Catholic thing Fufu :P

    ReplyDelete