Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The KING

I read my first Stephen King book 20 years ago. My good friend Lea lent me this book called The Drawing Of The Three which is actually the 2nd book of the Dark Tower series. Ever since then I got hooked and wanted to read more and explore his dark imagination. Biography

Over the years I have tried to keep up with him but always found myself out of breath! The guy comes out with a book almost every year. Sometimes more than 1 a year! Not to mention that I had some financial constraints in acquiring the books so I would resort to going to libraries and borrowing from my friends. Luckily though I found some of his books in thrift stores which I snagged automatically. And some of his old books were on sale too so I never let money deprive me of this little pleasure.




Here's the list of the books I read:

IT (and movie)
Cujo (and movie)
Christine (and movie)
Misery (and movie. Kathy Bates was awesome!)
The Eyes Of The Dragon
The Shining (and movie. Jack Nicholson was amazing!)
Night Shift
Thinner (and movie)
Nightmares And Dreamscapes
Needful Things (and movie)
The Tommyknockers (and movie)
Desperation (and movie)
The Regulators
Gerald's Game
Different Seasons
Firestarter
Carrie (and movie)
The Dark Half (and movie)
The Dead Zone (and movie)
The Stand (and movie)
Pet Sematary (and movie)
The Talisman
Skeleton Crew
Four Past Midnight
Insomnia
Dark tower series (The Gunslinger, The Drawing Of The Three, The Wastelands, Wizard and Glass, Song of Susannah, The Dark Tower)
Complete Book List 


He also wrote original screenplays for movies and TV series which were not based on his books: Children Of The Corn, The Dream Catcher, Rose Red, Stand By Me, Kingdom Hospital, 1408 and Sleepwalkers. The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile are 2 of my favorite movies ever and these were based on his novellas as well.  Complete Movie List 

One thing funny about Stephen is that he likes doing a cameo appearance on some of his movies. Watch Stephen King's Cameo On Sleepwalker.

Back in college I chose his book, Thinner, for my book report in English. I am proud to say that I left my classmates mesmerized after I presented my report. Got a 96 ;)

Stephen King will never cease to amaze me. He is a genius. His stories can make you laugh, cry, scream in the dark and fall in love. The thing I love about Stephen the most is his great understanding of humanity. He depicts human beings very profoundly making you understand how it is to be truly human and what we are capable of doing and becoming.

I hope Stephen will continue to share his thoughts and imagination for years and years to come. I know I would need a stress reliever from a long day at work. And on a lazy afternoon, what would one want more than curl up on the couch, a book on the right hand and a cup of hot choco on the other?....

To Stephen King: Thank you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment