Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The interviews

The next step in establishing your presence as an IMG in the US health care system is to join the MATCH but before you can do this you need to apply to the program/s of your choice and PRAY that you get as many invitations for interview as possible. ERAS Timeline


I was not planning on applying for the 2010 match as I had concocted a plan to extend our family...but...it proved to be very elusive so I then decided to take plan B: Join the match now.

I started the application process late with a pending Step 2 CS result but in spite of this I was still able to garner 6 interviews, 2 of which are from university hospitals. Another limitation is geography. I prefer to stay in Chicago so I had limited options.

Going for an interview can be a bit nerve-racking, especially the first one. You need to sell yourself in as little as 15 min. First impression is very critical. So shopping for a suit was first on my list. I am not a very trendy person. I value comfort over style. But in this case, style matters most. I found some suits that fit not only my body but also my personality. And for the undershirt: I did not follow the traditional white shirt. I chose my favorite color. Then accessorize with a slick leather portfolio and a black coat since the interview season is always during winter. And of course, the shoes. I hate wearing heels so I chose black leather 2 inch-heel ankle boots for comfort.



Next on my list was to study my CV very carefully and surf the web for common interview questions. Then I formulated my answers to these questions.

My interviews were not as distressing as I thought they would be. The interviewers were very friendly and they asked me questions mostly about my CV.  I met the competition and sometimes felt inadequate but during the interview none of these negative emotions surfaced as I was there to prove to them that I was a worthy candidate if not one of the best.

The itinerary for all my interviews was almost clear-cut routine:
*Arrival: 730-745
*Morning report or case presentation: 800-900
*Overview of the program: 900-1000
*Interview: 1000-1130
*Lunch: 1200-1300
*Tour of the facility: 1300-1400

My answers were all very routine as well as most programs asked me the same questions. The interview lasted between 5-15 minutes and the number of interviewers ranged from 1-3. Some programs showed interest and enthusiasm on my application. One even said that if they offered prematches I would definitely be a candidate. Yet others just showed a neutral expression all throughout the interview. Some programs have a cocktail or dinner arrangement that night after or before the interview. And yet there are some that host an annual 2nd look dinner event on a chosen date after all the applicants have been interviewed.

I sent thank you letters 2-3 days after the interview. I know that the norm would be to send the letter at least 1 week after the interview but I wanted the recipient of the letter to remember me and draw a conclusion that I am truly interested in their program.

None of the 6 programs I have an interview at offer prematches so I am definitely at the mercy of the match which can be a perplexing process. I have my last interview on January 22. I will be making my rank order list after that. I pray that God will give me the grace to make the best decision in my ranking order. If I match I will be bound to that program for 3 years so a lot of thinking has to be done. I need to set my priorities straight....

I leave this all up to God now. I have done my part and there is only so much that I can do. So....whatever will be will be ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment