Sunday, June 6, 2010

My Step 3

The night of June 2 I was thinking of my Step 3 result. I wasn't really sure when my score would be available but when I looked at the calendar I realized that June 3 would be the 3rd Wednesday after my exams which means my score COULD be available. The score is usually ready at midnight but I decided to just wait til the morning to check my email.

At 5:30 I woke up and my heart started pounding. What if I failed this darn exam? I thought I did well during the exam. I was calm the entire time which actually worried me a bit coz in the past a little bit of anxiety boosted my performance. This time I was very nonchalant and impatient to get this exam over with. But I felt good about my answers so that's all that matters. I did all I could and now it's all in God's hands.

So I turned on my laptop and checked the Step 3 candidate website and there it was: Print Score Report. I clicked on it and it started to download. For some reason my laptop decided to act up on that day. It was downloading the file ever sooooo slowly! But finally I saw 3 sets of figures that made my jaw drop to the floor...



I was in utter disbelief. My preparation was not as good as my previous ones. Plus I only spent 2 hours a day studying due to so many distractions like my pregnancy, residency, etc. I was even only aiming for a 75. But hey! This was a huge blessing from God and I accept it with all my heart. Thank you Lord! And I think my baby gave me good luck ;)

So how did I prepare....

My materials:
* Kaplan qbank: Not so good so I didn't finish it. Only completed 60% with a cumulative score of 65%
*USMLEWorld qbank: Very good! First round I got 64% correct and 2nd round of incorrect and marked items my score went up to 73%.
*USMLEWorld CCS: Very good! I did the interactive cases 2x and read the PDF files 2x as well.
*Master The Boards: Average. Good for quick review but felt there were incorrect concepts.
*Kaplan CK lecture notes: Only did a fast reading of IM and OB.
*Practice test on the USMLE website: 84%

The key to my preparation is my good CK knowledge and attitude. I thoroughly enjoyed studying for the exam coz I know learning all the principles will make me a better doctor. I didn't look at step 3 as just another exam, a hurdle in my path, but a way of improving myself. I learned a lot while studying and now I feel like I am ready to tackle any case in front of me ;)

Good bye USMLEs! Thank you for the challenge :)

8 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the last line: `good bye usmle, thank you for the challenge.' I am going to keep it. I am glad that you are done :) enjoy the last few free days :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you MB :) Good luck to our new chapter in life ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very excited about this new chapter! especially because it is starting in one of the greatest cities in the world!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Fritz
    Its Tracy from work. I am sooo proud of you.
    I will keep up with you thru your blog and hope you have time to post.
    I won't get to see you this week as I am not working at the River.
    So sorry I didn't get to say goodbye. Thank you for taking such good care of me and helping me so much. You will be a wonderful doc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Tracy thanks for dropping by! I'll miss you. Pls do keep in touch. You have my number :)

    ReplyDelete