Friday, June 25, 2010

My first week

I haven't really been excited about the start of my residency until about 3 days before my orientation. I guess it really hasn't sunk in yet and now it's just a few days away and my adrenaline then started to flow.

I got my stuff ready for my new job. Well, there's nothing really a whole lot to prepare. I got my stet, good quality pens, 2 comfortable pairs of shoes, 2 pairs of maternity pants (which I wouldn't probably start wearing until I'm mid 2nd tri), a small notebook to jot down some important info, a binder for my patient list, etc. My lab coats and pager will be provided for. Ok...I'm, ready! :)

First day of orienation was our ACLS class. I have already been certified but I decided to take the class again since I didn't really learn a whole lot from my recertification class last year. It was fun and I got to meet most of my co-interns (3 of them got delayed due to visa issues). Next day was our pre-employment screening, distribution of benefits packages and computer training. Benefits are great! Residents are 100% covered and if I choose to give birth at the hospital my bills will be fully covered- except for the professional fee which I will need to pay 20% of. Not bad! Then at the end of the orientation we got our lab coats, pagers, badges and locker keys. Yeah!



First day of official training went by really fast. My first rotation was in CCU (Coronary Care Unit). I had a resident with me at all times.  Going through the Electronic Medical Records (EMR) was a breeze but getting to know all our patients took a bit more time due to their conditions but on the 3rd day I got the hang of it and started doing my own rounds ahead of the resident ;)

I'm actually glad I got the tough rotation first. In that way when I rotate in the wards it would be a piece of cake :)....Hopefully....

4 comments:

  1. ItS great that you guys have the EMR System...!

    Sjh will get one soon :) eagerly waiting for that!

    Good luck for the 1st couple of months! Everyone says they are the hardest ....and they are right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe. How's your rotation going Ani? Mine isn't actually bad. There are times when I get bored coz I'm done seeing my patients so I'd read. Hehehe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, boss:) i need help re: MSPE. i know it's late for the papers, but i'm on my way doing it. Z

    ReplyDelete